First class hotels, superior culinary & cultural experiences, 6 or 8 days.
A unique Northern Lights holiday including Spa & soft adventures.
With the Northern Lights in Style we offer you an exclusive escorted bus tour. You stay in first class hotels. The tour is available as a 6-day or 8-day program. You experience unspoiled nature, geological wonders, cultural and culinary treats and a variety of soft adventures and activities during the day. At night you search for the Northern Lights: a mysterious, multi-coloured curtain of light swirling through the sky with a wondrous glow.
Highlights and Experiences:
- First class accommodation
- Wellness at Fontana steam baths and Blue Lagoon
- Langoustine dinner, crab feast and gourmet dining
- Visit to Cheese & Skyr school
- Glacier hike for beginners
- Meet the locals and learn about living with geo-powers
- Educational Northern Lights program and guided Aurora hunts
The 2-night extension program includes also:
- Northern Lights fjord cruise
- Super jeep adventure into the highlands and on top of a glittering glacier
Day 1: WELCOME to ICELAND (50 km/31 mls)
Private airport transfer by coach & guide from Keflavík International airport to Reykjavík where you spend the night at the first-class hotel Icelandair Hotel Marina in a superior room. We provide you with ideas how to explore Iceland's capital on your own. Meals: none
Day 2: REYKJAVÍK, CHEESE & SKYR SCHOOL, NATIONAL PARK & FONTANA STEAM BATHS (150 km/93 mls)
Meet the tour guide and start the exclusive program with a two-hour Reykjavík city tour. Visit to the exceptional observation tower of the Hallgrímskirkja church offering incredible panoramic views across the city. Learn about Icelandic cheese and the unique dairy product skyr, whilst having a lovely lunch in a cheese school buttery. Depart for Þingvellir National Park, a UNESCO world heritage site and stop for a wellness retreat at the Fontana thermal baths. Stay 3 nights in the luxury country hotel Grímsborgir in South Iceland. After a gourmet dinner, our expert tour guide provides you with a seminar about the Northern Lights and teaches you how to take photos of this natural phenomenon. Step into the darkness, soak in the hotel's outdoor hot tubs and check if the Northern Lights are visible. These spectacular sky-light shows are also known as the Aurora Borealis and are frequently seen in Iceland from September through April on clear and crisp nights. White and green are usually the dominant colours of Northern Lights but sometimes there are considerable colour variations. They are ephemeral, however, sightings are not guaranteed. Meals: Breakfast, light lunch & dinner
Day 3: GEOTHERMAL POWER, MEET THE LOCALS & LANGOUSTINE FEAST (200 km/124 mls)
Visit Gullfoss waterfall and the nearby Geysir geothermal fields with a variety of hot springs and bubbling pools. The explosion crater called Kerið is filled with water and resembles an ancient amphitheatre. Meet a local who tells us all about living in an earthquake active place with its geothermal powers and challenges. You get the opportunity to boil egg in a hot spring and taste bread baked with hot steam. Travel to seashore villages with many old and colourful houses. During a private tour around a local folk museum and a historic wooden church we taste shark meat, dried fish and Brennivín (Black Death) snaps. After a nice langoustine dinner at a nearby seashore restaurant we go outside to watch out for the magical Northern Lights before returning to the hotel. Meals: Breakfast & dinner
Day 4: EYJAFALLAJÖKULL VOLCANO AND GLACIER HIKE FOR BEGINNERS (280 km/174 mls)
Today, we take you out along the South coast. Travel to Seljalandsfoss waterfall which plunges over the mountain and stop at the Eyjafjallajökull Information Center where we learn about living next to a glacier and an active volcano. Nearby is Skógafoss waterfall which is 60 meters high and one of the most impressive waterfalls in the country. You can choose between a guided walk that is especially organized for beginners on a nearby glacier (total walking time is about 3 hours), or continue the bus tour to explore a black lava beach with bird cliffs. After a gourmet dinner at Hotel Grímsborgir, see a video presentation about Northern Lights as a part of the Northern Lights educational program and look out if the auroras are across the sky. Meals: Breakfast & dinner
Day 5: VIKING SHIP, CRAB FEAST & BLUE LAGOON (220 km/136 mls)
Explore the Reykjanes peninsula and see the region's many unusual geological features, hot springs, moon-like landscapes, bird cliffs, light houses and fishing villages. Visit a Viking ship and history museum that tells the story about the Viking expansion across the North Atlantic. After a unique seafood & crab feast we visit the famous Blue Lagoon for a soak in its warm geothermal water. The comfort experience package includes the use of a towel and a bathrobe, a drink of your choice and a volcano scrub or an algae mask. Enjoy a delicious lamb dinner at the Northern Light Inn Hotel, where the 6-day program ends with an overnight and breakfast. The group members for the 8-day tour return to Icelandair Hotel Marina in Reykjavík for a 3-night stay. Meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner
Day 6: DEPARTURE HOME (23 km/14 mls)
Depending on your flight schedule, you may have time to visit the Blue Lagoon again or walk in the neighbourhood of the Northern Light Inn Hotel before taking the airport shuttle to Keflavík Airport. Meals: Breakfast
Day 6: EXTENSION ITINERARY FOR THE 8 DAYS / 7 NIGHTS PROGRAM
REYKJAVIK LEISURE DAY & NORTHERN LIGHTS FJORD CRUISE
Leisure day to explore Iceland's capital, visit museums, go shopping, spa treatments or an optional whale watching tour. Included is a 2-3 hour Northern Lights hunt by boat to escape from the city lights. Meals: Breakfast
Day 7: SUPERJEEP TOUR TO EXPLORE HIGHLANDS, GLACIERS, CAVES AND FJORDS (350 km/217 mls)
Explore West Iceland on a full day super-jeep tour: highland track, glaciers, lava caves, waterfalls, cultural site, hot springs, fjord and a visit to a micro-beer brewery. This is a true adventure with spectacular landscapes. Stay at Icelandair Hotel Marina in Reykjavík. Meals: Breakfast
Day 8: DEPARTURE HOME (50 km/31 mls)
Private transfer by bus (no guide) from your accommodation in Reykjavík to Keflavík airport. Meals: Breakfast
DAILY DRIVING: Total mileage without airport transfer from day 2-5 is about 850 km (527 miles) which is an average
of 212 km (132 miles) per day. You spend about 3 hours per day on the bus, depending on road conditions, traffic and daily distances. On some days the driving might be longer than on some other days.
NOTE: In rare cases, a change of itinerary might be necessary during winter programs in Iceland, should snow, road and weather conditions not allow to follow the scheduled itinerary, and certain outdoor activities might be cancelled. In this case no refund will be given, but GJ-Travel will try to find reasonable alternatives where and whenever possible.
- Arrival airport transfer by private bus & guide
- Fully escorted 4-day bus tour with a professional guide
- Departure airport transfer by private bus (no guide)
- 5-nights accommodation in first-class hotels (see list below) including breakfast
- 2x lunch + 4x 3-course dinner including langoustine dinner and seafood & crab feast
- Welcome cocktail at Hotel Grímsborgir and Northern Lights Cocktail at Hotel Northern Light Inn
- Entrance to observation tower at Hallgrímskirkja church in Reykjavík
- Visit and seminar at cheese & skyr school in Reykjavík
- Entrance with towel at Fontana steam baths
- Entrance to Kerið volcano crater
- Meet the locals and guided tour in Hveragerði including egg boiling and hot steam bread tasting
- Meet the locals and private tour at folk museum and historic church in South Iceland
- Shark meat, dried fish and Brennivin (Black death) schnapps tasting
- Visit to multi media presentation at Eyjafjallajökull Volcano Information Center
- Especially designed glacier hike for beginners
- Entrance to Viking Ship and History Museum
- Experience package at Blue Lagoon that includes entrance fee, towel, bathrobe, a drink of your choice and a volcano scrub or an algae mask
- Northern Lights program during 4 evenings with a combination of lectures, presentations, film and guided searches for the Northern Lights and midnight refreshments
- Use of winter & Northern Lights explorer equipment: simple non-slip snow & ice grippers spikes for shoes and a flash light that is helpful when walking in the dark and operating your photo camera at night
The 2-nights extension program includes additionally
- 2-nights accommodation in first-class hotel (see list below) including breakfast
- Northern Lights fjord cruise
- 8-9 hours super-jeep adventure in West Iceland including beer tasting at local brewery
ACCOMMODATION: For this program we recommend the following first-class hotels.
- Day 1: Icelandair Hotel Marina / Superior rooms
- Day 2, 3, 4: Luxury Country Hotel Grímsborgir in South Iceland. The hotel is built in a village set up, with different buildings including villas, hotel and restaurant. Note that it is about 2 minutes walk from the guest rooms to the restaurant where breakfast and dinner is served. Possibility for bus transport if weather conditions are not favorable for the short and refreshing walk. Grímsborgir Hotel offers geothermal outdoor hot tubs.
- Day 5: Northern Light Inn Hotel at the Blue Lagoon for the 6 days/5 nights program. Next day there is a hotel shuttle to Keflavik Airport, about a 20 minute drive.
- Day 5, 6, 7: Icelandair Hotel Marina in downtown Reykjavík / Superior rooms for the 8 days/7 nights program
Departure Dates: This itinerary is ideal for the period Mid-September to Mid-April. Note that tours in September and April are more expensive due to hotel prices. Note that the time from Mid-December to Mid-January offers only about 5-6 hours of day light and therefore not an ideal travel time for this tour program.
Duration: 6 days / 5 nights or 8 days / 7 nights
Accommodation: First class hotels, see info above.
Meals: See itinerary
Group Size: ideal for groups 10-30 persons
PRICE: contact our group department for an offer - email email@example.com