EXPLORE THE NORTH, EAST AND SOUTH - 8 days / 7 nights
This escorted tour is designed for the traveler who wants comfortable accommodation while enjoying the unique nature in and around Iceland’s capital of Reykjavík, but who also wants to experience some of the highlights of North, East and South Iceland. With four nights at the Grand Hotel Reykjavík and three nights in beautifully located country hotels in rural Iceland, this compact 8 day tour is ideal for travelers who like to enjoy the diversity of Iceland's landscape, nice accommodations and view life in the country.
HIGHLIGHTS and EXPERIENCES included:
- Combination of four nights in Reykjavik and three nights in beautifully located country hotels
- Visit many of Iceland’s most popular places in only a week
- Domestic flight Reykjavík-Akureyri
- Horse show featuring special gaits of the Icelandic horse
- Visit to stone collection and Eyjafjallajökull information center
- Soak in the famous Blue Lagoon
- Boat tour among floating icebergs
Day 1: WELCOME TO ICELAND (50 km/31 mls)
Private airport transfer by coach & guide from Keflavík International airport to a 4 star hotel in Reykjavík where you spend the next three nights.
Day 2: REYKJAVIK CITY TOUR, THE BLUE LAGOON & REYKJANES PENINSULA (180 km/112 mls)
You meet your tour guide who shows the group some of the highlights of Iceland’s capital. Then we head out to the Reykjanes peninsula with its hot springs, mountains, bird cliffs and fishing villages. At the end of the day, we get to soak off our travels in the warm blue waters of the famous Blue Lagoon.
Day 3: GOLDEN CIRCLE & ICELANDIC HORSES (260 km/162 mls)
Today features the highlights of the “Golden Circle” – first to the ancient parliament site at Þingvellir National Park and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Then we continue to the Gullfoss “the golden falls“, a double waterfall that tumbles 34 meters (112 feet) into a canyon of Hvítá River. You see steam as you approach the Geysir geothermal fields and can explore the variety of hot springs and bubbling pools. This is the home to the original geyser, now replaced by Strokkur „the churn“, which shoots boiling water 15-20 meters every 5-10 minutes. In the afternoon, you learn about the unique Icelandic horse and see its special qualities during a short show at a horse farm.
Day 4: AKUREYRI & LAKE MÝVATN, CULTURE, FALLS AND LAVA (160 km/99 mls)
It’s up in the air, as we fly to Akureyri, North Iceland, for a tour of Iceland’s second largest city, and a visit to its excellent botanical garden. As we head east, the first stop is Goðafoss waterfall, followed by Lake Mývatn, known for its rich bird life and extraordinary volcanic lava landscapes. There is time to explore the lava field Dimmuborgir, climb up to the rim of the ash crater Hverfjall, see the hot springs of Námaskarð, and travel to the Crater Lake Víti in the Krafla geothermal fields. Overnight is at Lake Mývatn.
Day 5: DETTIFOSS WATERFALL & EAST FJORDS (420 km/260 mls)
On the way to East Iceland, there is a stop at Dettifoss, Europe’s most powerful waterfall, and then we travel over a vast moorland plateau, Jökuldalsheiði, a lava and sand desert. The village of Egilsstaðir is the center of East Iceland, located at Lögurinn Lake. The scenic route continues along the dramatic fjord landscape and fishing villages of East Iceland. Visit to an interesting stone collection. Overnight is in East Iceland.
Day 6: VATNAJÖKULL GLACIER NATIONAL PARK
(300 km/186 mls)
The day is spent exploring the Vatnajökull Region. There’s a fascinating boat trip among the icebergs on Jökulsárlón glacial lagoon and a short hike in Skaftafell at Vatnajökull National Park - home of Europe's largest glacier and Iceland’s highest mountains. We spend the night near Kirkjubæjarklaustur in Southeast Iceland.
Day 7: NATURAL WONDERS OF SOUTH ICELAND & EYJAFJALLAJÖKULL VOLCANO (280 km/174 mls)This last day of the tour starts with a beautiful drive across South Iceland towards Reykjavík. There are many natural wonders: the Laki lava field, the waterfalls Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss. We can stroll on the black lava beach along the amazing bird cliffs at Reynisfjara near Vík. At the Eyjafjallajökull Information Center we learn about living next to a glacier and active volcano. This last night is spent in a 4 star hotel in Reykjavik.
Day 8: DEPARTURE HOME (50 km/31 mls)Private transfer by bus (no guide) from your accommodation in Reykjavík to Keflavík airport.Note:
- Average of 1-2 hours light walking each day, mainly several short walks from the bus to the different nature sights.
- It is an easy tour in which nearly everyone can take part.
- Total mileage in 6 days is about 1.600 km (992 miles) for the tour, excluding airport transfers and domestic flight
DEPARTURE DATES: This itinerary is ideal for the period May to SeptemberDURATION: 8 days / 7 nights RECOMMENDED ACCOMMODATIONS: Reykjavik: 4 star hotel in Reykjavik (first 3 nights and last night) Lake Mývatn: Hotel Laxa or similar (1 night) East Iceland: Hotel Framtíð or Hotel Bláfell or similar (1 night) Vatnajökull Region: Hotel Laki or Icelandair Hotel Kirkjubæjarklaustur or similar (1 night) MEALS: 7x breakfast and 3x dinner in the countryside GROUP SIZE: ideal for groups 10-35 persons. INCLUDED:
PRICE: contact our group department for an offer - email email@example.com
- Arrival airport transfer by private bus & guide
- Fully escorted 6 day coach tour with a professional guide
- Departure airport transfer by private bus (no guide)
- 4 nights accommodation at 4 star hotel in Reykjavik including breakfast
- 3 nights accommodation at country hotels including breakfast
- 3x dinner in the countryside
- Entrance with towel at Blue Lagoon
- Icelandic horse show
- Entrance fee at Stone Collection Museum in East Iceland
- Boat tour between icebergs on glacial lagoon
- Visit with multi-media presentation at Eyjafjallajökull Volcano Information Center
- Domestic flight Reykjavik-Akureyri incl. airport transfers and taxes